Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sweet Bastard!! Fall's a-Comin'!!

Wow, it seems like Summer just started, right? Well kiss that bastard goodbye, because it's all but gone!! While I'll miss the nice weather, there are several things I won't be missing, and plenty of things I'll be looking forward to. So strap yourself in as we look back and then look forward at breakneck speed!!

MOVIES-
I saw 2, and only 2, good movies this summer. Knocked Up and Superbad. Don't get me wrong, I'm as elitist as they come most of the time, but these two lowbrow movies, full of dick jokes and sex jokes and all those other kinds of jokes, were actually really good. So far I'd call Superbad the best movie of the year. But as anyone who knows anything will tell you, this year has sucked for movies. For the most part, the summer season was full of sequels which all but ruined their franchises. Spider-Man 2 is the best comic book movie ever made, but Spider-Man 3 wasn't even half of what part 2 was. Then that Pirates of the Caribbean 3 sucked, but everyone saw that one coming from a mile away. Basically it was a summer of disappointments for movie lovers everywhere, but what summer isn't?

MUSIC-
This summer was chock full of "hot jams" for young white people to enjoy everywhere. I can't name a single one, because I stopped listening to the radio long ago. I admit to being an elitist prick when it comes to movies, but I'm 10x worse when it comes to music. But there were a few decent albums over the summer. Like.... hey, did you know "Broken Social Scene Presents Kevin Drew, Spirit If..." comes out today? GO BUY IT!! Or download it, it doesn't make any difference to me.

PERSONAL-
This summer I got laid like a motherfucker. No. No, I'm lying. But I did move. And... I got a job, which I quit. What else, what else? My dad bought me some lottery tickets a few times. Didn't win anything. I guess that's all I did this summer.

Now on to what I'm looking forward to this Fall...

MOVIES-
There Will Be Blood. I read the script over the summer and it's awesome. I know I brag a lot about reading the script, but it's probably the coolest thing I've ever done. Dang, I should have mentioned that as something I did over the summer. Ah well, too late now. Anyways, I'll watch anything with Daniel Day-Lewis, even that pretty much awful The Ballad of Jack and Rose. I saw the trailer a few weeks ago and it looks like they stayed true to the script pretty much, but I'm worried Paul Dano might fuck up the character of Eli. In the script he could have been many things- he was crazy, but he seemed human. He was an egotist, but he could also be weak and scared. But judging by the trailer, it looks like Dano is going for pure bombast. Lots of screaming and flailing of the limbs. Not cool. But that's just the trailer, who knows how the movie will turn out? Anywho, I'm also excited to see I'm Not There. I love's me some Bob Dylan. The movie got good reviews for the most part and everyone is talking about how great Cate Blanchett is (Lando says- "BUT SHE'S A GIRL!!") Fuck that shit. If it's Dyaln, I'm there... I didn't mean for that to be like a pun. I'm not saying "I'm there" because the name of the movie is "I'm Not There"...

MUSIC-
Well, Radiohead let me down once again. I've been waiting patiently for 4 years now, and still no new album. What makes it worse is that they've actually finished the album, now they need to shop it around to a new label, then the label has to figure out how to market it (here's a hint- just say "Radiohead's new album" and everyone will come running), ect. so it looks like the earliest I'll be able to hear this bastard is early next year. But who wants to release an album in, like, January? I'll bet it doesn't see the light of day until next spring. Bastards. But hey, at least we have Spirit If..., right? What else is coming out this Fall? Bruce Springsteen has a new album. I'll make sure to skip that one. What's he done since The Rising that's worth shit anyways? Your mother, for one!! Oh wait- NO SHE ISN'T!! BOO YAH!!

PERSONAL-
I hope to keep living for at least the next few months. Also, maybe I should get a better job. And some better friends. And watch the Colts beat all who dare get in their way. Fuck it. If you've read all this you're a loser anyways.

-M

No comments: