Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I think there's something wrong with me

Because I really, reallly like Scarlett Johansson's cover of Tom Waits "Falling Down", a song which is been pretty much universally panned everywhere I've looked. I've listened to it like five times now and it really is my favorite song so far this year. I'm not a fan of actors turned singers either guys, but this song rules. So what if she sounds like Nico? You know who else sounded like Nico? Nico. And last time I checked that didn't bother most people. Really, the vocals for this song go absolutely perfectly with the music and the mood it creates.

Now one thing I really will agree on is that the video kind of sucks. It looks too much like Lost in Translation (because it has Asian people), and I guess it goes well enough with the song, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the video was that she was trying to remind everyone of her best movie. But I quickly forgot about that and got right back into the song.

I know I'll never convince the people who hate it to change their minds and I'm not too bothered really. I know this is a good song. And hey, David Bowie thought it was good enough to lend his vocals too as well. So suck it.

No comments: