Tuesday, January 29, 2008

REVIEW: Juno by Maynard

Ok, first thing's first: I know I'm way late with this. It feels like the movie has been out for a year now already. But I didn't see it until recently and then I had to work out exactly what it was that I thought about this film and I think I've got it, although I probably won't be able to explain it how I want to.

Juno was nominated for 4 Academy Awards recently and that's probably what makes me feel the way I do about it. I'll just get it out of the way and say that it is very overrated. This is not one of the 5 best movies of the year, or even of the season. Now, if Juno had grossed 10 million dollars and got snubbed by the Oscars I really think I'd feel differently. But when it grosses 100 million (so far) and starts winning awards and getting all sorts of nominations and things, it starts getting certain expectations attatchd to it. And this movie just doesn't live up to them.

My main complaints with this movie are the same ones you've all heard already. The characters are fake and unrealistic. The dialouge is fake and unrealistic. None of the actors give anything above a good performance. Juno is supposed to be quirky and a rebel but listening to punk rock from 1977 doesn't make you quirky and what exactly is she supposed to be a rebel against? She seems exactly like every single girl with a myspace page, ever. Of course the girls aren't like that in real life, just on myspace. Again, this movie just isn't true to life.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that it got so big. I can admit that. But what makes this film such a huge hit when better, funnier, more original comedies like Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums or Punch-Drunk Love or The Squid and the Whale get left behind? I asked myself the same question last year when Little Miss Sunshine started cleaning up. It's like people are finally starting to love the quirky comedies, but they're loving the wrong ones. Juno won't be nearly as remembered as those films have become in 5 years.

I gotta give this a 6/10. But like I said, if no one had ever really heard of this movie, it probably would be a 7/10. Over hyped.

2 comments:

kimboluvr said...

Pretty much my sentiments... until I saw it a second time. Then I was able to focus on the story more, and was surprisingly touched (especially with Garner's character). And I was even able to accept most of the dialogue this time around because I knew what to expect. Page, Garner, Simmons, Bateman and Cera form the nucleus to some of the more interesting characters that last year had to offer. Even if Diablo Cody sometimes tries too hard.

Maynard and or Lando and or Bada said...

I think I might like it better once it's out on DVD and the hype is somewhat forgotten. I'll give it another try and I'll do my best to forget how huge it is at the moment. I think I saw it at the wrong place and the wrong time, so to speak.